TREASURER'S OFFICE QUICK INFO
- Real Estate and Mobile Home Tax bills will be mailed in late April or early May .
- Real Estate Taxes are due on June 2, 2017 and September 1, 2017.
- Mobile Home Local Services Tax bills will be due on July 7, 2017.
- Make Checks Payable to TAX COLLECTOR
- Office Hours are 8:30 to 5:00 Monday thru Friday.
- Mailing Address is 200 S. Ninth Room 102, Springfield, IL 62701
- Inquire on line at Tax.co.Sangamon.il.us
- Office phone number is 217-753-6800
Tom Cavanagh was first elected Sangamon County Treasurer in 2002 and is now in his fourth term. He is a native of Springfield and a graduate of Griffin High School and Georgetown University in Washington D.C.
Tom began his county government career in 1996 when he was elected Sangamon County Auditor. He served as Auditor until his election as Treasurer in 2002. Prior to his election in 1996, Tom was a program manager for the Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs in Springfield. He served in the Job Training Division and the Division of Audits and was responsible for performing compliance reviews for various state and federal programs throughout Illinois.
Tom was elected three times to the Springfield Park Board in the 1980s and 90s. He was the board vice-president for six years and chaired a number of committees during his tenure. He served on the board of directors of the Illinois Association of Park Districts (IAPD) from 1991-1997. In 1996, he was recognized by the IAPD with the president’s award for his outstanding service as treasurer.
In 2007 and 2012, Tom was honored with the Treasurer of the Year award for distinguished service to the Illinois County Treasurers' Association (ICTA). One of four to be honored in Illinois, he was selected by his peers among county treasurers in the 26-county region covering west-central Illinois. Tom currently is a regional chairman of the ICTA and is a past chair of the ICTA legislative committee. He also serves as treasurer of the ICTA Political Action Committee.
Tom is married to Diann Reed and has two adult children.
Tom has been active in many civic and professional organizations in Springfield as follows:
- St. Agnes Church (Past Finance Council Member)
- Association of Government Accountants(Past President)
- VIA Literacy Program (Past President, Service Award Winner 2007))
- American Business Club
- Springfield Citizen's Club
- Springfield Chamber of Commerce
- Georgetown University Alumni Admissions Program
- Knights of Columbus Council #364
- Elks Lodge #158